Monday, May 3, 2010

Healthy School Lunches

My family has really enjoyed Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, a television show centered on changing the food available for school lunches in an American town, Henderson West Virginia. As much as I appreciate our Houston Independent School District, the food vendor we've been acquainted with, Aramark, has provided absolutely unpalatable food for the student lunches. My kids pack a lunch every day, so they don't have to eat school food.

I'd love to find a group of like-minded parents at my kids' schools, who would be willing to work on changing the food in HISD. My kids would benefit greatly from a warm, healthy lunch, especially one with a vegetarian option. I'm worried, though, that HISD is too huge for a small group of parents to move; it would take a very dedicated set of individuals to take on this effort. In the mean time, maybe what we need to do is help pass federal legislation to provide incentives to schools to experiment with providing healthier meal choices to students.

If any parent or group is interested in coordinating a district-wide effort to improve school lunches at HISD, please let me know; I'd be willing to be a liaison to the schools my kids attend.

0 comments:

Post a Comment